Lawyers as Bloggers









In for a Penny, In for a Pound

In March 2013, I posted my first post on this blog.  After several months of business coaching with Christine Kane and exposure to the concept of "content marketing," I wanted to explore the platform and its uses. I wanted to run an experiment. 

How long would it take the Google bots to find me?  I'd been told it would take a year of daily blogging.  So, I committed to that publication schedule.  In 2013, I made 182 posts over a ten month period.  Not exactly every day, but just about 20 posts a month or 4.5 posts a week. 

In the process, I regained the voice I had had as a columnist for the magazine published for members of the Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL).  The coverage is eclectic, but then I promised broader coverage in my description of the blog:  "Discussing new ways to meet the needs of law firm clients, mediation parties, negotiators, and law students."

Two years later, I have published almost 300 posts. 

Last month, my webhost sent me a message letting me know that my URL domain name and hosting fees will come due soon and be automatically renewed.  That message makes me pause to consider whether investing in the blog makes sense.  The answer continues to be "yes." 

In a few weeks, I'll pass 75,000 pages views, most of which are bots.  So, the experiment worked.  Google the words "The Red Velvet Lawyer," and the top six search results will refer to the blog.  Google the words "Paula Marie Young," and the first three search pages feature mostly me.  Those searches also reflect my commitment to social media. 

A blog, however, reminds me of the scene in the film, Little Shop of Horrors, when the alien plant demands: "Feed me!"  

Several times a week, I scroll down my own blog roll looking for new posts from other bloggers.  Today, I cleaned out any bloggers who were not posting on at least a 3-month basis.  Yes, it is a commitment, but it is an important way to contribute, educate, share, and grow.  Bloggers who post valuable content on a regular basis deserve the attention they garner.  They distinguish themselves from other folks in the market through their tenacity.  And, for lawyer-bloggers, their blogs can help ideal clients find them and pre-qualify for offered services.

Finally, the blog implements two coaching lessons I've applied for a very long time:  "Don't be afraid to be seen" and "do it imperfectly."  Both lessons lead to greater success.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 4 - Changing Alliances in the Region

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 6 - The Media During Times of Crisis

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 7 - Where is the Gulf Headed?