"Doctor" Paula Does Doha: Happy New Year


















Wishing You 
the Best in 2016!


Yes, I am back to blogging after a five month transition to a new part of the world, a new university, new students, a new home, and generally a new lifestyle.  I plan to catch up on some of the experiences I have had in Doha.  I have shared some of them on Facebook, but without much commentary or the perspective that comes with being here for several months now.

It is still a very great adventure that I am holding gently in my mind, heart, and hands.  

Many of my expat friends here have posted reflections on Facebook today about their own experiences during 2015. They often talk about the surprise they still hold for making the transition to Doha from places all over the world.  Few expected to be here a year ago.  They talk about the challenges of change.  But, also the importance of the journey of growth, self-discovery, and service. They talk about what you shed to be able to put on this new skin. 

About a year ago, I accepted an offer to visit Dubai with a grade school friend.  The seed had been planted by a former colleague, Henry Webb, to work internationally.  I wanted to scale up, so the seed began to grow. I stayed on the 44th floor of the Birg Kahlifa, made famous by the fireworks display that last night also featured an adjacent hotel fire. 

That experience was transformation.  Clearly, I could live in the Gulf.  So, now the task was to land a job here.  More on that in later blogs.

So, as I told my students this semester when I asked about their career plans:  "Everything begins with an idea."  What's yours for 2016?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 4 - Changing Alliances in the Region

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 7 - Where is the Gulf Headed?

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 6 - The Media During Times of Crisis